STUREC© uses the term Class when referring to
an instructional setting and all of it's administrative attributes.
This is significantly different than the term Course,
which STUREC© uses to identify a specific curriculum (or body
of knowledge to be taught).
While the mechanics of entering Class setup data into STUREC©
are fairly simple, that DOES NOT mean this process can be
taken lightly, or done hap-hazardly. Incorrectly configured classes
and/or Course Catalogs can cause real problems for you down the road,
such as significant loss of funding. With a little fore-thought and
proper planning, however, the process will be quick and trouble-free.
Dr. Bob's advice: The data-entry person
should work from documents containing class schedule/setup approved
by the program director.
Before creating a Class setup record, you must have already created
your Master Course Catalog.
Suppose you will be offering a traditional (half-credit) HSC English class (Course 2111) that
runs 60 hours per semester, 9am-10am, Monday thru Thursday, from
08/24/2000 thru 11/30/2000.
Now, lets create a Class setup record:
- Go to menu:5.2.Class Setup Procedure, and specify the current enrollment period.
- Enter 2111 as the Course Number, and 01 as the Section Number.
NOTE: STUREC© only uses the Section Number to distinguish between multiple
classes (instances) of the same Course. The actual value is arbitrarily assigned by you, and carries no intrinsic meaning.
- Press A to add this new class.
- Press [Enter] to skip the Alternate Schedule code.
- Set the meeting days to MTWR, and press [Enter].
- Set the start and end times to 09:00 AM and 10:00 AM, respectively.
- Enter an appropriate building and room.
- Enter the Instructor's name, and management group.
- Set the CREDIT value to 0.50
- This is not an Academic Component (of a Learning Block), nor an
EXCEPTION class, but IS a TRADITIONAL one.
- Select an appropriate LIST CODE (use the ? to pick from a list).
Or you may leave it blank.
- There are 15 teaching weeks, 1 hour/meeting, 60 total meetings, and 60 total
- The start and end dates are 08/24/00 and 11/30/00, respectively.
- Let's limit enrollment to 30 students.
- After verifying the enrollment period, and saving the new class, you
are ready to enroll students.